Grapefruit Seed has antibiotic, anti-septic, disinfectant properties and is also used as a preservative in food and cosmetics.
The Grapefruit seed extract (GSE) owes its existence to Dr. Jacob Harish, who was a physicist. World War II forced him to abandon his studies and become a fighter pilot. Just after the war Dr. Jacob Harish was breakfasting on Grape fruit, which was a rare treat in France. While he savored the sweetness of the fruit, he was intrigued by its bitter taste of the seed and wondered if it had any medicinal properties.
It took years of perseverance on Dr. Jacob’s part to study this fruit. More herbal, plant and fruits should be investigated for anti-microbial properties. After the war, he migrated to the US and took a medical degree and did research on Grapefruit Seed Extract and found it useful.
Grapefruit extract is non-toxic, environmentally safe and quickly biodegradable and it is inexpensive. Dr. Harish was honored for his pioneering work and was invited to Europe, as a guest of honor at the Pasteur Institute of France, which is Europe’s leading AIDS research center. For years, this Institute has been researching the potential of GSE, as a prophylactic against the HIV virus, as well as against the secondary infections associated with AIDS. The farmers of Europe now use a powdered form of GSE, in fish and poultry feed to fight pathogenically lethal bacteria, such as Salmonella and E Coli.
The uses of Grapefruit Seed Extract:
- Reports from the University of Georgia in Athens, by Dr. Wyatt have proved that GSE has a wide spectrum of activity that offers antiviral, antibacterial (both against Gram + and Gram – bacteria), antifungal and antiprotozoal activity.
- When GSE is mixed with soap and cleaning products, the cleansing product only kills the germs and does not harm the skin.
- It is extremely useful when used as a pre-surgical scrub for a minute
- A growing number of dermatologists, aestheticians and cosmetologists are using GSE mixed in soaps and skin cleaners.
- A few drops of GSE have been found to be useful when put in one glass of water, as a preventative for “Traveler’s Diarrhoea”.
- 3 to 4 drops of GSE per gallon of reservoir water into a humidifier will prevent the growth of algae.
- It is a sure shot remedy in cases of Sore throats caused by Streptococci and gargling water with GSE definitely prevents sore throats.
- It has been found useful by dentists to cure Oral thrush infections due to Candidial infections.
- It has been found to be useful in protozoal infections such as Amoebiasis.
Research into the flora and fauna has become very important because we are living in an era of bacterial resistance to antibiotics and a tremendous and frightful resurgence of killer viruses like Hepatitis and AIDS. Perhaps, the answer to infectious diseases lies in cheap Holistic Alternatives such as the humble Grape fruit Seed Extract and many other unknown plants and fruits.