The sweet potato, though, is not really a potato at all. Sweet potatoes are often confused with yams. Both yams and sweet potatoes are the tuberous roots of a flowering plant, but, other than that, they do not have much in common.
Benefits of Sweet Potato:
1. Heart health. Sweet potatoes are high in vitamin B6, a mineral that helps decrease the amount of the chemical homocysteine in our bodies. This property protects the heart from heart attacks.
2. Cold and flu prevention. Sweet potatoes are rich in Vitamin C, which plays an important role in your body’s ability to fight cold and flu viruses, helps in wound healing and stress reduction.
3. Bone and tooth formation. The Vitamin D in sweet potatoes helps your body maintain strong bones.
4. Immune system health. Sweet potatoes contain iron, which helps correct anaemia
5. Stress reduction. Magnesium is abundant in sweet potatoes, and this mineral helps de-stress our bodies. Manganese also can help women who suffer with PMS have fewer mood swings and milder cramps.
6. Blood pressure regulation. Potassium is another mineral contained in sweet potatoes. Potassium provides many important benefits, including helping to regulate blood pressure,
7. Reduced blood sugar spikes. The natural sugar contained in sweet potatoes releases slowly into the bloodstream, offering a balanced source of energy and regulates blood sugar spikes that can trigger fatigue and weight gain.
8. Eyesight protection. Sweet potatoes are high in carotenoids (such as beta carotene) that can strengthen our eyesight, boost immunity and protect against the effects of aging.
9. Inflammation reduction. Sweet potatoes are a good plant-based source of choline, a micronutrient in the B-vitamin family that helps reduce chronic inflammation.
10. Digestion. Sweet potatoes are a good source of fibre, which aids in digestion and can help reduce the risk of developing heart disease and diabetes.
Sweet potatoes offer many health benefits like:
- Sweet potatoes are a great source of fibre, vitamins, and minerals. …
- Promote Gut Health. The fibre and antioxidants in sweet potatoes are advantageous to gut health. …
- May Have Cancer-Fighting Properties. …
- Support Healthy Vision. …
- May Enhance Brain Function. …
- May Support Your Immune System.